How to Become an Automobile Designer
Published On : 09thOct, 2019
Automobiles! From cars to trucks to the amazing Harley Davidson, this is a thing of interest to many. Automotive engineering takes things to another level. It analyses questions like: How can we teach cars to drive themselves? How would we get around on the surface of Mars?
Automotive engineering is a branch of engineering which deals with the designing, manufacturing and operating automobiles. This also includes working on their mechanical, electrical, electronic, software and safety aspects. It is a segment of vehicle engineering which deals with motorcycles, busses, etc.
There are mainly three types of automotive engineers:
1. Design Engineers: They are responsible for the design aspect of a vehicle. Simply put, they make the vehicle look good. Design engineers primarily work toward developing the visual appearance of a vehicle and also are involved in the concept design. A familiarity with the intricate details of the hydraulic, electrical, and mechanical systems inside a vehicle is a must.
2. Development Engineers: They work toward improving efficiency of existing vehicles and developing new ones. Among other things they organize tasks like automobile level testing, its validation and certification. They mainly research and find solutions to engineering problems.
3. Production Engineers: Their responsibilities include making sure the process of manufacture goes smoothly. This means that they are involved in the design, development, implementation, operation, maintenance, and control of all processes in the manufacture of vehicles.
Note: We can also inform that Automobile Engineering can be pursued in Bachelors or may be directly in Masters
Automotive Engineering in India
Ajeenkya DY Patil University’s DYPDC School of Design offers Bachelors and Masters courses in automobile engineering. You can also do a diploma in Digital Modeling.
Course eligibility for a career in automobile engineering:
1. You must complete 10+2 with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics or Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Biomedical as your main subjects.
2. You must have a bachelor’s degree in Automobile Engineering (4 yrs.) from a certified university\college.
3. Also a few colleges require students to take up an internship programme as a part of their course curriculum, so you will need to undergo a professional training programme from an automobile company or a research institute for the fulfillment of the criteria for B.tech\B.E.
4. If you have planning to do a master’s programme then you must be a graduate in Automobile Engineering with a good percentage of marks. Also will be given more weightage in case you have an undergone a training programme from a good company or institute, it gives you an edge over others.
5. You may also do a diploma course in Automobile engineering after you have completed 10th grade followed by Post graduate diploma.
Automotive engineering requires creativity. They are visionaries and are employed mainly on their ability to think outside the box. Their work often includes bringing new products to the market, problem-solving and project management. Their main duty is to design, test and develop vehicles.
Automotive engineers are primarily trained to:
- Design new vehicles or revise existing ones
- Research and develop in finding solutions to engineering problems
- Plan and design new vehicles.
Besides this, automotive engineers are also involved in testing vehicles. This includes checking the break system, interaction with the ABS (anti-lock braking system), automobile weight, handling, transmission, other safety measures etc. They develop new test procedures for the vehicles, using both conventional and innovative methods.
Because of the overall increase in the number of vehicles, the demand for qualified and skilled automotive engineers has also increased in recent times. Automotive engineers can find the best jobs in automotive manufacturing industries. You can also find work in service stations, private transport companies and defense services.
There are plenty of job opportunities both in India as well as in foreign countries including the Middle East where the pay scale is good.
ADYPU Campus Placement Opportunities: Your doorway to success
Our strong industry connect helps us leverage and provide ample opportunities for our students to display their skill and passion, and give them a distinct advantage compared to their peers. Choosing to study at ADYPU assures you of a platform that just doesn’t ensure that you have secured placement in your dream company but also have acquired the skills and attributes that will help build a Global Career.
The quality of companies that visit us repeatedly stands testimony to the fact that ADYPU has created a niche as the “Leading University with Best Placements’ in India. In here, students have an advantage to explore new avenues while achieving new horizons in your academic journey.
The career path of an Automobile Engineer is challenging but also very rewarding. The variety of daily responsibilities makes this job attractive to those who shun monotony and seek complicated puzzles and design challenges.
If you hope to begin a career that offers both high job satisfaction and career progression opportunities, this is the course for you!
Ready to take your career in the 4th gear?